- I absolutely love this class! I’ve been coming since 2009 and have gone from newbie writer to published author and the classes played a huge part in this.
- I have been at a couple of creative writing courses and this is by far the best
- … a weekly fix for writing motivation
- …the course was very honest and practical
- I will suffer from withdrawal symptoms now
- The class was informative, educational and fun…
I too love Wednesday mornings in UCD's Carysfort Campus. Year in year out the group of writers who turn up are a joy.
This year's course is titled: Writing Fiction(1) - Plotting & Planning. The autumn term runs from Wed 1 October to Wed 3 December from 10 o'clock to noon.
Writing fiction is an adventurous act best served by nudging aside reality, a word at a time. The focus of Writing Fiction 1 is to bring participants on this adventure. The 10-week course is tailor-made towards writing fiction to appeal to today’s changing market. In Fiction 1 focus is on sourcing storylines and creating strong plots. The course is suitable for emerging as well as more established writers interested in writing novels and short stories for print as well as radio. The core strengths of Writing Fiction 1 are analysis of writers’ work, group participation and discussion.
As well as being an adventure, writing fiction is an acquired skill, nurtured by tapping into:
- Life experiences
- Stream of consciousness exercises
- Studying media stories.
Tips of the trade and how to devise and write page-turning plots which includes plot arc, the importance of opening sequence and learning how to structure plots are all explored.